Waypoint 4 - St. Michael's Church / Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre

Waypoint 4 - St. Michael's Church / Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre

1867

Royal Marine Road Named

Forty-Foot Road was renamed as Royal Marine Road.

Source: Tom Conlon

1879

Kingstown-Dalkey Tram

Horse-Tram tracks laid. Two separate tramlines were laid, one to Dublin and one to Dalkey – but they had incompatible gauges. Accordingly, passengers from Dublin to Dalkey had to change trams.  Picture shows the Kingstown-Dalkey tram.

Source: Tom Conlon

 

1896

Electric Trams Commence Operation

Electric trams commenced operation.

This picture, at the junction, looking towards Dublin, shows a tram approaching.  On the right, you can see that there were shops right into the junction of Marine Road.  The entrance to the church was a few doors down on Lr George’s St.

Source: Tom Conlon

 

View from the Tram

At the junction, looking towards Dalkey. Taken from the top deck of the tram it shows cobbled streets. The shopfronts on the right were demolished 1900. Those opposite were modified before being demolished in 1974.

Source: Tom Conlon

St. Michael’s Church Spire Built

Spire of St. Michael’s church built to replace earlier clock tower.

Source: Tom Conlon

St. Michael’s Church Spire Built

Spire of St. Michael’s church built to replace earlier clock-tower.

Source: Tom Conlon

 

1900

Street-Widening

Street-widening at this junction. All shop-fronts of the block between Patrick St and Mulgrave St were demolished and moved back 14 ft – this block is still out-of-line with the rest of the street.  Moynihan’s shop on the corner of George’s St/Marine Road (now an open area) demolished as part of the same initiative.

Source: Tom Conlon

 

1965

St Michael’s Church Fire

In July 1965, St. Michael’s Church on Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire caught fire. The church was 141 years old at the time. Almost everything inside was damaged beyond repair. Gardaí sealed of the surrounding areas as onlookers gathered for fear that the Belfry would collapse.

1973

Opening of Present St. Michael’s Church

Opening of the present St Michael’s Church Designed by Sean Rothery, Pearse McKenna, and Naois O’Dowd, with a sculpture by Imogen Stuart of St Michael slaying a dragon.

Source: Tom Conlon

 

1974

Dún Laoghaire Shopping Centre

Construction commenced on Dún Laoghaire shopping centre.

Source: Tom Conlon

2017

Google Street View Car

Google Street View Car Makes an Appearance in Dún Laoghaire