The Volvo Dun Laoghaire Regatta kicked off yesterday with 36 classes, over 475 entries & over 2500 competitors from 80 countries. It’s no doubt that the Regatta is the biggest of its kind in Ireland.
The Kingstown 200 Cup is up for grabs to the best boat in the Classics Programme (see below). This Cup commemorates the Bicentenary of the hosting harbour, Dun Laoghaire Harbour.
As part of the Bicentenary celebrations the following events will take place over the weekend. They are free and open to the public.
- Classic Races taking place throughout the weekend and visible from the West & East Piers
- Bicentenary Contemporary Art Exhibition – Ferry Terminal Building – 10am – 6pm
- Marine Art Exhibition – East Pier – 10am – 6pm
- Vintage RNLI Boats – To view from the East Pier – All Day
- Family Fun on the East Pier Bandstand – Sat 8th – 2pm – 4pm
- Music from St Maurs Pipe Band – East Pier – Sun 9th – 2pm – 4pm
- St Michaels Rowing Club – Kingstown 200 Bicentenary Rowing Race –Viewable from the West Pier only (The last race of the SMRC Regatta in the late afternoon). There is a ‘200 Guinea’ (€200 euro) prize for first place only, to be presented in a leather pouch.
Teddys Ice Cream, Ouzo Fish Shack and Wing It (Harbour Plaza) will be open all weekend. We hope you enjoy your visit to Dun Laoghaire Harbour. Share your photos with us on Twitter & Facebook @dlharbour.
Keep up to date over the weekend with the Regatta Twitter account.