Canon Trophy at the Railway Station

The cannon which is now located on the East Pier came as a trophy captured during the Crimean War. A steel carriage was made for it in the Royal Armoury at Woolwich, and it was put on display for about 50 years on the spot where the small roundabout neat the Railway station is now. This 1889 picture shows the cannon on that site.

Source: Tom Conlon