The George IV monument was erected about 1823 to commemorate the visit of the king in 1821. The town was renamed Kingstown after him and the main streets (George’s St, Cumberland St, Clarence St, Sussex Street, York St, (later York Road)) were named after his sons.
The monument was controversial from the start. It was famously lampooned by Thackeray the poet. It was a target for many protesters through the years, including a bombing about 1970, after which one of the 4 balls forming the base had to be replaced
Credit: Tom Conlon