President officiates at Dun Laoghaire harbour Bicentenary opening ceremony
Two hundred years after the foundation stone was laid to build Dun Laoghaire Harbour, the President Michael D Higgins, accompanied by his wife Sabina, will officiate at the Bicentenary opening ceremony at 14:30 on Wed 31st May 2017, at the King George IV monument in Dun Laoghaire harbour
In May 1817, the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Earl Whitworth, laid the foundation stone, the first stone from the quarry at Dalkey, on the site where the King George IV monument on Queens Road was subsequently built. On that day, Lord Whitworth, included with the foundation stone, a time capsule which included a coin of the realm and ten newspapers.
In the Bicentenary opening ceremony, to mark this special occasion two hundred years later, His Excellency, President Michael D Higgins, will place a new time capsule at the King George 1V monument . This time capsule will include drawings from local school children, a newspaper of the day, recent photographs of the harbour, and letters from the RNLI, Coast Guard, Coal Harbour Users Group and An Cathaoirleach.
As part of the ceremony on May 31st next, the Air Corps will undertake a “Fly By”, ceremonial cannons will be fired, and a 21 Gun Salute will be accorded by the Irish Defence Forces to mark the occasion. Volunteers from the RNLI and the Coast Guard will create a guard of Honour to welcome the President.
The ceremony will also announce the packed summer schedule of events marking the Bicentenary of Dun Laoghaire harbour, taking place around Dun Laoghaire throughout the rest of the year.